Terres de chez-nous by Louise Marion, artist
The Village's origins go back in the middle of the XIX century with its first residents.
The colonisation of its parish started around the years 1850 with the arrival of the settlers which most came directly from Ireland. The first piece of land to be developed was located in the North-East side of the parish, along a row of potatoes that is now called Ennishone in memory of an Irish village which the settlers had left. Many of these Irish families left their descendants: Burgess, O'Reagan, McLaughlin, Mulherin, McCluskey, Lynch, Walker. We now find many of these family names in the Grand Falls region. Around 1860, the name changed to Drummond and covered more that than a row following the clearing of the land and the enlargement of the territory.
The name Drummond comes from the name of Major Gordon Drummond (1771-1854). Major Drummond was born in Quebec where his father was an officer for the British Army. He also joined the army in 1789 where he served in Canada from 1808 to 1811 and was promoted to Lieutenant-General . He returned in Canada in 1813 as Administrator for the Upper Canada and Commander of the Armed Forced during the war of 1812 against the United States. Drummond was wounded during the battle of Lundy's Lane. He was named Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath in 1815 and succeeded, in the same year to Sir George Prevost as Commander in Chief and Administrator of the Lower Canada. He returned in England in 1816. The Drummond are one of the older family descendants, Anabella Drummond, spouse to Robert III, King of Scotland, Head of the Stuart House. She was crowned Queen of Scotland in 1390. The tribute to this Colonel explains Drummond's origins.
The French arrived in Drummond around 1870 during the vast movement of the colonisation of Madawaska with its populations in the counties of Kamouraska and Témiscouata in Quebec. Among the French were: Michaud, Côté, Violette, Lagacé, Leclerc, Thériault, Grenier, Rioux. A few battles emerged between the groups: French, Irish.
Today, the parish is mostly French.
In 1890, we count a few hundred catholic families established in the civil parish of Drummond. The number of residents was judged sufficient by the ecclesiastic authorities to erect and found a new parish under the name of Saint-Michel-de-Drummond on September 29th, 1890, dissociating it from Grand Falls. The nearby parish, New Denmark, while being divided as a civil parish in 1872, continued to be part of the religious parish of Drummond until 1936.
In 1911, the Canadian National Railway bridge was built. The bridge stands over the Salmon River and is 212 feet tall - it is a splendor.
At the same time of the commemoration of the Centennial of Canada's Confederation, the Village of Drummond was incorporated on July 19th, 1967. Today, we count 735 residents in the village and more than 2250 residents in the region (not included).
The Village's Coat of Arms...
Explanation of Symbols
The principal color of the coat of arms is green and is called sinople en héraldique. This color was traditionally associated with agriculture which is the principal economic drive in Drummond.
The flock is a heraldic symbol used frequently to represent angels as the best heraldry prefers a stylist symbol to a naturalist representation. Therefore, the introduction of this symbol in our coat of arms represents Saint Michel Archangels, patron of our religious parish, founded in 1890. Drummond owes its name to Sir Gordon Dummond (1771-1854) whose name was given to the civil parish established in 1872.
The principal industry in Drummond is the growing of potatoes. This industry is represented on the municipality's coat of arms with the potato plant. This plant occupies a place of honour in our coat of arms.
The motto «Vivat, Floreat, Crescat» provides naturally from this plant. It translates into: "May she live, flourish and grow". Therefore, not only does this motto represent the symbol of our potato industry but also reflects the whole municipality and its citizens.
Drummond's simple coat of arms is summarised by the municipality's religious and civil origins and illustrates the place of honour for its principal industry.
Original French Explanation from Robert Pichette , FRSA